Law graduates scoop the pool in the Alumni Awards
Each year UNSW recognises its highest achieving alumni. In 2020, three of the seven winners from across UNSW in the Alumni Awards for 2020 are Law graduates:
- Former Chief Justice David Wong for Professional Achievement
- Dr Terri Janke for Social Impact and Service
- Teela Reid for Young Alumni
These prestigious awards are open to all 320 000 alumni across the university. We had one winner last year, with Rebel Wilson taking out the Chancellors Award for Exceptional Alumni Achievement.
Reserved for celebrating the true trailblazers and transformers within our alumni community, the program has been running since 1972. This year, there was a record 122 nominations, from academic and professional staff, students, friends of the University and our alumni.
Given this, the outcome is an exceptional one for our law alumni. Law graduates represent only 6% of UNSW alumni, making it remarkable that they have won nearly half of the awards this year. It is also especially pleasing to see that our winners reflect the diverse strengths of our graduates in recognising two of our Indigenous alumni as well as one of our alumni leaders in Southeast Asia.
Dr Terri Janke
Meet Law alumni around the world
Many alumni gather in formal and informal groups around the world. Whether you are returning home, relocating or just passing by, get in touch with the locals.
- Hong Kong – our most active overseas group, meeting once a month. The group is led by President Mr Eugene Yeung (BCom LLB '06) and former President, the Honourable Justice Barnabas Fung (BCom '84, LLB '85). Join the HK Facebook group now.
- Europe – Sabine Pittrof (LLB '95) loves Australia and welcomes the chance to share experiences with alumni or talk about doing business in Germany. Ueli Sommer (LLM '01) is one of our international postgraduate alum now based in Zurich.
- UK (London) – Shikha Sethi and Leslie Phung (BA/LLB '13) are Sydneysiders living in London who volunteer as our alumni ambassadors in the city.
- USA – Nathan Huynh (BCom/LLB '15) moved to New York in early 2017 and is keen to connect with fellow alumni.